With our friend Mike the Scrapper recently putting up some great videos about gold refining, he decided to share the written instructions so you could follow along and see the procedure in action. Like Mike states in the video, please do NOT attempt this at home. These are serious chemicals and could cause a lot of damage to yourself or others.
The +iScrap App does not own any of the following information or video content. Safety instructions & other information is provided by Mike the Scrapper only, iScrap App is not responsible for the following content.
Let’s Get Started
What you will need:
- Vinyl apron
- Chemical Resistant Gloves
- Safety Goggles
- Fume hood / If working outside use a fan blowing the fumes away from you. (have a space where no person or animal will bother you)
- Ram boards
- Sheet metal cutting shears or pruning shears
- Distilled water
- Container to hold you ram boards
- Glass stirring rod
- Containers to hold the excess waste acid
- Coffee filters
- Hot Plate or Coffee Maker (hot plate on low)
- All Plastic Strainer
- Wash Bottle
- Measuring Spoons
- Muriatic Acid
- Nitric acid 67.2 concentration or Sub Zero
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Scrub Powder/Storm Precipitant or Sodium Metabisulphite
- Baking Soda
- Cut fingers off ram boards
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with muriatic acid 50% / 50%
- Let sit in a warm area (under the sun for 24 hours)
- Mix if needed
- Use strainer, coffee filter and container to capture acid and any gold
- Rinse gold with distilled water & remove any on the ram fingers
- Rinse gold again and filter out water
- Place in glass beaker and add 10ml Nitric & 10 ML Muriatic
- Place on hot plate or coffee maker
- Let sit and walk away
- Once all gold is dissolved the liquid should be yellow
- Use beaker, strainer and coffee filter to catch the yellow liquid and the filter will get the debris
- Slowly add water in the filter and rinse the 1st beaker to get all the gold and debris out.
- Now remove the filter and add about 30 ml or more of distilled water.
- Add 1tsb of Urea to neutralize the acid. Add more if needed. If no more bubbles you are ready for the next step.
- Add 1 TSP of Scrub Powder (you may need more) color will change from yellow to brown.
- Let powder settle and now use filter and clean beaker to get the brown powder.
- Once in the filter add more water to rinse.
- Let dry and use a furnace to melt down your gold.
- If done correctly you should have 99.5% 24KT gold.