When scrapping you may come across a wide variety of scrap aluminum. While there are several materials that are classified as “aluminum” there are many different types that are priced and sorted differently at scrap yards. Below we have some of the common types of aluminum scrap you will come across when scrapping.
- Sheet Aluminum– This category includes material like lawn chairs without the webbing, some lighter gauge pots and pans, window frames with small amounts of plastic or steel attached, and jacketing from MC cable.
- Cast Aluminum– A type of aluminum that looks to have been poured into a mold. Something like a BBQ grill, molds from certain applications, or larger light pole bases.
- Dirty Aluminum– This would be anything that has steel, rubber, or plastic attached. If there are steel bolts going through something we would classify this as dirty as well. When scrap yards see any type of non-aluminum material mixed in with the “clean” aluminum that you are trying to sell, it is difficult to get clean prices ever for it.
- Aluminum Cans – One of the more common items that are brought to scrap yards, is aluminum cans. With the common availability of them from soda and food cans, many people clean out, crushed, and collect cans before bringing them to a yard. Be sure to call you yard for pricing.
- Aluminum Gutters/Siding – Mainly collected by general contractors and roofers, aluminum gutters and siding are common types of aluminum to find their way to the scrap yard. With many people opting for vinyl siding, there is less aluminum on residential buildings.
- Aluminum Wire – When you are pulling out cables and wires, you may find wires you first assume will be copper, but instead you find they are silver in color. As long as they are not magnetic, these are going to be aluminum wire. Be sure to sort through to separate these wires from copper.
- Aluminum Rims – scrap metal prices” width=”168″ height=”126″ />Aluminum Rims – Common to automobiles and trucks, aluminum rims are another type of aluminum scrap that should be sorted. To maximize your profit on them, make sure that any rubber tires and Lead Wheel Weights are removed from them.
One thing that you might see will be a price half as much as a clean price (maybe even less than that). That happens because you have to think of the labor that goes into cleaning material that is severely dirty.