This summer you will be able to relax and scrap with ease of knowing that there are several HOT items for scrap this summer. With the warm weather fast approaching here are some guaranteed items that will be popping up all summer long.
Beat the Heat. Scrap the Rest.
- A/C Units: While these may seem obvious, A/C units are going to become more prevalent during the summer months especially in hot areas. With people taking their windows units out of winter storage, they may find that they are not working any more or need to update them for better energy proficiency. So be sure to keep an eye out on those curbs for A/C units for scrap. It always pays to take them apart regardless.
- Poolside Equipment: Along with the warm weather comes pool openings. While homeowners are beginning to open their pools up for the sun, they may find some things not working properly or damaged that can be scrapped. The pool motor may be shot, the pool heater could be broken, or the aluminum/stainless steel ladders could be busted from the heavy snow. All items can be turned into scrap yards for good money. If you know someone with a pool, ask them for any equipment that may be faulty. Also above ground pools’ walls are made out of aluminum.
- BBQ Grills: With the hot temperature, the grills get turned up high and cold beer starts flowing. This summer check your local neighborhoods for grills on the side of the road. While they may seem really bulky, they are worth a good deal at the yard, so take the time to load the trashed ones up in the truck. The top and bottom of grill can be stainless or aluminum, use your magnet to check, and they can equal a good deal of money at the yard. If there is a propane tank attached you have to check with you yard if they accept them, most do not unless they are cut in half.
- Lawn Furniture: Lawn furniture is being taken out of storage from the long winter and could have been damaged or rusted throughout the off-season months. With the sales happening at furniture stores, some owners may just want new furniture and are getting rid of the old stuff. Many pieces of lawn furniture are made from aluminum and steel but always be sure to use your magnet to double check.
- AL Cans: Crack open a couple brews and enjoy the summer with family and friends. At the end of the long summer nights, remember to save the cans and collect them for the scrap yard. According to this video, it take about 33 cans to make one pound. So for almost every case of adult beverage, you can be making more money at the scrap yard.
So this summer enjoy the sun (use sunscreen) and keep an eye out for these scrap items while on the run. You should see them coming out more than normal during the warm summer months. If you have any questions or need help with taking apart some of these items, be sure to check our YouTube channel.