With the first month of 2017 halfway done it is crazy to think of where the prices have started this year at…but let’s not get too excited that they are going to continue this climb. We are looking ahead to the market in February, and we may be in line for a slight drop in prices. There are a lot of reports that metal prices will be slipping so let’s get into that now.
This Week Tom Explains What To Expect With Market Drops & Help With Motherboards
Non-Ferrous Scrap Markets
With the copper prices rising over the last week about 5-7 cents per pound we have seen many people been cashing in their loads and a lot of scrap yards are now slow because so many people sold the material that they were holding for so long…so what does that mean? Well, maybe you are one of those people who didn’t sell and you may have a little more leverage to ask for some higher prices on certain materials…hey it never hurts to ask right?
Reported Scrap Prices For Non-Ferrous for January 2017:
- Belle Glade, FL: Siding, $0.50 per lb (1/18/17)
- Tucson, AZ: Aluminum Cans, $0.60 per lb (1/17/17)
- Tucson, AZ: Brass, $1.10 per lb (1/17/17)
- Oklahoma City, OK: Bare Bright, $2.15 per lb (1/17/17)
- Erie, PA: #1 Tubing, $2.00 per lb (1/17/17)
- Lafayette, LA: Wire, $0.50 per lb (1/17/17)
- Newport, AR: Bare Bright, $1.85 per lb (1/16/17)
- Mesa, AZ: Brass, $0.93 per lb (1/16/17)
- Glasgow, WV: Bare Bright, $2.00 per lb (1/16/17)
Ferrous Scrap Markets
With such high rises in the steel pricing over the last month to two months we have started to hear news about the markets slipping. We have heard that going in to February that the markets could be slipping and going down anywhere from $15-25 per ton due to the high quality of steel that was finally flowing into many scrap yards.
Suggested Reading: How Low Steel Prices Affect Jobs
We hope that this is temporary and that the new administration that is coming in will be able to see these changes coming into more of an effect and figure out how that will impact the overall markets.
Reported Scrap Prices For Ferrous for January 2017:
- Erie, PA: #1 Steel, $170 per ton (1/17/17)
- Fayetteville, NC: Shreddable Steel, $6.oo / CW (1/17/17)
- Rochester, NY: Light Iron, $197 per ton (1/17/17)
- Mesa, AZ: Cast Iron, $80 per ton (1/16/17)
We hope that you have had some good scraping lately, don’t forget to let us know and email us at [email protected] for any and all questions!
Scrapppp ya later!
Average National Scrap Prices (as of 1/18/17):
- Bare Bright Copper: $1.85-$2.22
- Copper Pipe: $1.72-$1.97
- Clean Brass: $0.85-$1.18
- Insulated Copper: $0.45-$1.45
- Aluminum Sheet: $0.22-$0.33
- Stainless Steel: $0.23-$0.29
- Aluminum Cans: $0.22-$0.32 (Not CRV Pricing)
- Light Iron: $85-135 per ton